Here is the recipe for my "Lenten Jar."
- On the Sunday before Ash Wednesday I write down 40 tasks on slips of lavender paper.
- 1/3 of the tasks are almsgiving in nature (not monetary but acts of kindness) such as visiting someone who is sick at home or in a nursing home, offering help to another sister or a co-worker, writing a letter to someone.
- 1/3 of the tasks are to pray for someone in a special way throughout the day. On these papers I put names of people who are special to me, or who have asked for my prayers, people I know who are sick or struggling etc.
- 1/3 of the tasks are related to fasting for a day from candy, or dessert, or coffee etc.
- Then I fold these tiny notes and toss them in a jar.
- From Ash Wednesday on I pull one task out of the jar daily and focus on it for the day.
My jar gives me variety and surprises each day. It is a simple way to concentrate on and balance the disciplines of almsgiving, prayer and fasting.
Whatever we choose to do this Lent, may God bless all of us on our Journey back to Him.
|My Lenten Jar|