Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Grandparents and Untying Knots

Tonight we honored grandparents at Resurrection with a dinner and entertainment!  What a wonderful evening.  When I think of grandparents I think of how when I was a little girl I could take my ribbons or my rosary and ask my grandma to get the knots and tangles out of them.  Or when I had a knot in my shoe laces I could put my foot on her lap and she would always get the knot out.  Grandparents are so patient!  They are always there to help us with out knots.  Not just the knots in our ribbons and shoe laces but the other knotty experiences of life. There is another very special person who is always there for us, praying for us and patiently guiding us out of our "knotty situations".  That person is Our Holy Mother Mary.

Pope Francis has a special devotion to Mary under the title of the "Untier of Knots".  Below is a picture of a painting that hangs in a Church in Germany.  Angels hand Mary a rope with knots and she patiently unties them and after they pass through her hands the rope is smooth.  The rope represents our lives.  When we put our knots into our Mother's hands she helps us untie them and make things better again.  What a comforting realization to know we have grandparents and Our Mother Mary to help us untie the knots in our lives.

Prayer for Grandparents (Based on prayer of Pope Benedict XVI)
Lord Jesus, you were born of the Virgin Mary, the daughter of Saints Joachim and Anne.
Look with love on our grandparents.  Protect them!  They are a source of enrichment for our families, strong pillars of faith, guardians of noble ideals, treasuries of beautiful traditions.  Make them teachers of wisdom and courage, that they may pass on to their families the fruit of their experience.
Jesus, help us value the presence and role of our grandparents.  May they always feel our love and respect. 
Mary, Mother and untier of knots, help our grandparents untie the knots in the lives and hearts of their children and grandchildren.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment